Friday, July 30, 2010

Summer Breakfast

Not enough people eat breakfast every day.  I used to be a staunch anti-breakfaster, but lately I've been waking up earlier, getting hungry, and starting to think about what to eat.  Through a long process of trial and error, I have found a breakfast so perfect and delicious, so filling and nutritionally balanced, that I don't know if I'll ever switch it up to something different.  The thing is, it's really only perfect for summer.  When the mornings start getting colder, I know I'll turn to my old tried and true oatmeal (and boy do I have some oatmeal recipes for you!), but right now, when berries are cheap, is the perfect time for this breakfast.

You can't see the yogurt, but I promise it's lurking in there somewhere!

It doesn't have a name, because it's not actually a recipe.  All I do is dump one container of Chobani Greek yogurt into a bowl, add a handful of muesli or granola (right now I'm using Kashi GoLean Crunch because I got it on sale and it's delicious, but last week I was using muesli from Whole Foods), a handful of blueberries, and a handful of sliced strawberries.  Then I hit it with a splash of soy milk (I don't handle regular milk very well, though for some reason, cheese and yogurt are never a problem).  The soy milk cuts down the thickness, because you know how thick that Greek yogurt is, and then I give it a good stir and scarf it all down in about 8 seconds, because that's just how good it is.  Fiber, protein, calcium, vitamins, all in one very tasty, low-fat package!  It doesn't get much better, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment