Thursday, August 5, 2010

Avocado Fries

Avocado... fries?  I was as skeptical as you probably are when I first heard of this recipe.  Being a huge fan of avocados and a huge enemy of deep-frying, I was conflicted as to whether to even attempt this at all.  In the end, my love of avocados won over and conquered my anti-deep-frying side, and the result was pure genius.

Served with ranch dressing for dipping, but trust me, you don't need ANYTHING to make these guys taste amazing!

Would you believe me if I said this was the first time I had ever deep fried anything, ever?  Well, it's true.  And to be honest, I don't know if I would ever do it again.  I nearly set the kitchen on fire, and definitely filled the room up with smoke, and then there was the question of what to do with the used oil.  I mean, I used almost half a bottle to make this dish, and eventually just poured it out in the trash, knowing it might be years before I fried again.  That said, I have no regrets.  Avocado fries are clearly what they serve in the afterlife, and if they don't, then baby, I want to live forever.

The cooking process went so quickly that I don't have any pictures, but it's very simple, so here's how it goes:
1. Slice up some avocados.  They should be ripe, but just barely so.  Green but not soft.
2. Sprinkle with salt, then dredge in flour.
3. Dip in some beaten egg (about 2 eggs for 2 avocados) then some Panko breading.
4. Deep fry for about 30 seconds in some canola oil heated to 350 or thereabouts.  I don't have a fry thermometer, so there was a lot of trial and error involved.  Drain on a plate lined with paper towels and sprinkle with a little salt to finish.

These were absolutely magical on their own, but next time I think I might want to dip in a little bit of salsa.  Try them out, serve them at your next party, and be amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment